July 11, 2010

Let The Sunshine In

The blue room is finished for now. We're holding off on re-doing the floor - I'm on the lookout for a deal on cork flooring, maybe some extra left-over from somebody else's project. We only need about 80 square feet and at retail that's still pretty expensive. Kijiji and I will be friends for a while.




Kid tested...














I know I promised that the room would be orange. And it was. For a day. I loved the contrast of bright orange against the 'citron' green that I used on the cabinets. An important part of painting a room is understanding how the light plays into it. We've been here for almost a year, so I have a pretty good idea of the light at different times of the year and different times of day in various parts of the house. This room faces south, which ordinarily I think would work with orange - nice, bright, sunshiney place for a kid (yah, okay Rory, or for a dog). BUT what I didn't realize since we haven't spent any time hanging out in the room is that for most the day the light that comes through the window is tinted green because it's filtered through and bounced off the foliage in the back yard. Orange with a green glow = not so good. Probably would be fine in the winter without the greenery. Back to the drawing board I went, with my orange paint chip - now the walls are actually a very pale orange, almost yellow - and you can see that they actually look pale green in some of the shots, it's the light from the window. Xander loved it. Actually, he probably didn't care about the colour so much as having a place of his own to go when he comes over. And Rory? If I'm home, he tends to be wherever I am, but I suspect he's biding his time, just waiting for an opportunity to sprawl on that bed in the sun. There is no doubt in my mind that I'll need to throw a sheet over the bed when I go back to work tomorrow. Ridgeback hairs will be tough to disguise on a dark-blue duvet.






...Dog approved.

No comments: