September 17, 2010

TOMATO CAM

Don't let the greenery fool you. Good light and shadow combined to make this look like just a pretty picture of a tomato biding its time, growing, ripening.

















No sirree folks, this is a tomato in jeopardy. As are all tomatoes in Calgary gardens. I don't know much about the blight in Edmonton and whether it has been found in Calgary tomatoes, but I do know this summer has not been warm enough and September isn't looking any better. 1C last night and frost on the yard. Luckily Norm helped me rig up something to give these poor green guys a fighting chance. When I went to check on them today it was noticeably warmer beneath the poly than the 6C that the outside thermometer indicated. Whew!
















There isn't any room for me under there, so the photos are the result of me sticking my arm inside and snapping whatever shots I could. I like to think of this as seeing things from the tomatoes' perspective. Looking out at a grey world, while rain runs down the outside of your little cocoon and the occasional drop of condensation drips on your little tomato head. Maybe every once in a while there is a collective tomato shiver as they all look outside and sigh. If they get big enough to pick even before they've ripened I'll probably feel bad about eating them.


















Or maybe not.

No comments: